Thursday, November 16, 2006

Folgers for the Holidays

Now that the holiday season is approaching I thought it would be a good opportunity to share some beloved clips. Every year I eagerly await the onset of Christmas themed Coke and M&M ads. Who doesn't love those adorable little polar bears? And how about when Red and Santa faint in simultaneous hillarity?? Ahh...that's what the holidays are all about. And then every once in a while you are treated to the sleeper hit...like that FedEx commercial that proved there really on is one fruit cake in the world. But, no commercial satisfies me more than the divinely inspired Christmas classic, Peter comes home for the holidays with Folgers. I am pretty sure that same commercial has been running since 1980, but when you have a winner you should stick with it! While I was searching youtube for my most favoritist holiday commercial ever, I stumbled upon the following advert. I have to say, I think the first nine seconds are really all you need. I just kept stopping it and replaying. Literally, I was laughing so hard I couldn't breath...I think I get that from my mother.




After doing a little scavanging to find the Folgers ad, I discovered that I was not the only person who looks forward to seeing Peter come home to the family. Exibit A:

http://www.adjab.com/2005/11/29/yes-the-folgers-commercial-is-back/

Remember that Folger's Christmas commercial from years ago, the one where the kid hitchhikes home and goes into his parent's house early in the morning, the little girl runs downstairs to greet him and they quietly make Folger's coffee, which wakes up the mom and she comes downstairs and exclaims "Peter!" I saw it last night! [...] But how old is this ad? It's got to be at least from the late 80s, right? And it's funny how we project our own theories into a commercial. I mean, we assume the kid is coming home from college (the hitchhiking, his age, etc), but as far as we know he could have just escaped from prison or returned from a mission in space or something. But it's a great holiday memory for TV viewers, so Folger's made a great decision to keep it going after all this time.


Well, it ends up that I couldn't get ahold of the Folger's Christmas commercial. It was up on youtube at some point, but they took it down because of copyright violation. I just think that's silly! Where's their soul?! Anyway, I just thought I would put up another Folgers ad anyway. This one is pretty creepy, but amazing! Check it out:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home