Sunday, August 06, 2006

Scared Out of my Pants


Drew and I just got back from watching The Descent. Good times. I am not usually one to run out and see horror flicks...and now I remember why. I am completely incapable of detaching myself from fear; I turn white and I start shaking. I couldn't even watch Jeepers Creepers without having to turn on all the lights. So, I spent most of the movie covering my face and trying to roll up in a cocoon of safety. I think the scariest part was not the crazy cave-human-monsters but just the claustrophobia of crawling through cracks and crags in the rock without knowledge of an exit. Which is why Drew kept grabbing my arm and panting, "Why would you do that? They're crazy!" It gives me the heebie-jeebies just to think about it. But, all in all it was a worthwhile viewing. I mean, getting the audience to feel that immerssed in the setting and action is pretty intense. I approve. The story is about a group of women who go adventure seeking in the Appalaichans. They meet to take a journey through a series of caves, but unbeknownst to them, Juno (the initiator) has taken them to uncharted caves. So, of course, bad things start to happen when their enterance collapses. Wooooooo....

I also watched the alternate UK ending, which made more sense than the idealized US version. Don't you hate it when they change an ending for different audiences?? Yes, the US constituents wouldn't have like the more depressing UK ending, but why do we have to be so lame?? If you want to see the other, better ending, here it is:

The Descent, UK ending. This is why youtube rocks.

Also, if you visit the site...it gives a pretty good idea of the intensity. Go to the site, then click "experience" and then "claustrophobia." It shows a short flash film from clips in the movie, which is awesome: http://www.thedescentfilm.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home